Introduction to Human Anatomy and Physiology
OUTCOMES 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 1.5
1. Which characteristics of life does a computer have? Why is a
computer not alive?
OUTCOMES 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 1.5, 1.6
2. Put the following in order, from smallest and simplest, to
largest and most complex, and describe their individual roles
in homeostasis: organ, molecule, organelle, atom, organ
system, tissue, organism, cell, macromolecule.
OUTCOMES 1.4, 1.5
3. What environmental conditions would be necessary for a
human to survive on another planet?
OUTCOMES 1.5, 1.6. 1.7
4. In health, body parts interact to maintain homeostasis. Illness
can threaten the maintenance of homeostasis, requiring
treatment. What treatments might be used to help control a
) body temperature, (
) blood oxygen level, and (
blood glucose level?
INTEGRATIVE ASSESSMENTS/CRITICAL THINKING
OUTCOMES 1.5, 1.6, 1.7
5. How might health-care professionals provide the basic
requirements of life to an unconscious patient? Describe the
body parts involved in the treatment, using correct directional
and regional terms.
6. Suppose two individuals develop benign (noncancerous)
tumors that produce symptoms because they occupy space
and crowd adjacent organs. If one of these persons has the
tumor in the thoracic cavity and the other has the tumor in
the abdominopelvic cavity, which person would be likely
to develop symptoms F
rst? Why? Which might be more
immediately serious? Why?
7. If a patient complained of a “stomachache” and pointed to
the umbilical region as the site of discomfort, which organs
located in this region might be the source of the pain?
Anatomy & Physiology Revealed® (APR)
includes cadaver photos that allow you
to peel away layers of the human body to
reveal structures beneath the surface. This program also includes
animations, radiologic imaging, audio pronunciations, and practice
quizzing. Check out
. APR has been proven
to help improve student grades!
Be sure to visit the text website at
answers to chapter assessments, additional quizzes, and interactive
ANATOMY & PHYSIOLOGY REVEALED