OUTCOMES 2.3, 3.3
1. Liver cells are packed with glucose. What mechanism could
transport more glucose into a liver cell? Why would only this
mode of transport work?
OUTCOMES 2.3, 3.3
2. What characteristic of cell membranes may explain why fat-
soluble substances such as chloroform and ether rapidly affect
OUTCOMES 3.1, 3.2, 3.6
3. For experimental stem cell therapy, state the part of a cell
reprogrammed to function like that of a stem cell and
stimulated to differentiate in a particular way.
4. Organelles compartmentalize a cell. What advantage does
this offer a large cell? Cite two examples of organelles and the
activities they compartmentalize.
INTEGRATIVE ASSESSMENTS/CRITICAL THINKING
5. Exposure to tobacco smoke immobilizes and destroys cilia.
How might this effect explain why smokers have an increased
incidence of coughing and respiratory infections?
6. Which process—diffusion, osmosis, or ±
ltration—is used in
the following situations?
a. Injection of a drug hypertonic to the tissues stimulates pain.
b. The urea concentration in the dialyzing ﬂ
uid of an arti±
kidney is decreased.
c. A person with extremely low blood pressure stops
7. Reports in the media about stem cells usually state that they
“turn into any kind of cell in the body.” Explain why this
statement is incorrect, including a description of what a stem
cell really does.
Anatomy & Physiology Revealed® (APR)
includes cadaver photos that allow you
to peel away layers of the human body to
reveal structures beneath the surface. This program also includes
animations, radiologic imaging, audio pronunciations, and practice
quizzing. Check out
. APR has been proven
to help improve student grades!
Be sure to visit the text website at
answers to chapter assessments, additional quizzes, and interactive
ANATOMY & PHYSIOLOGY REVEALED